The Music industry in Nigeria is not arguably the biggest in the continent of Africa. Watch the phrase “…not arguably… “. Many people have come and gone. A few have placed their marks on the sands of time, some left us with memories, one that makes a bereaved man smile while others made us ask why we bought their album in the first place. Well, that’s life.
Just like every sector in life, controversies will always make up part of the DNA of anything that consists of at least 2 humans. The music industry in Nigeria has had it’s own fair share of “beef” over the years. One thing though seems to always happen after every beef or break up in the industry. When a duo break up, they hardly make songs that hit when they go solo and when an artist breaks up with his label he also hardly make songs that makes us wow. There are quite a few who have not allowed the trend to come a mile close to them and as a matter of fact, they became better even though we can all agree that they sold less albums.
1. 2 Face Idibia: The African Queen crooner has never for once disappointed. He has been in the game in very much active since 1996. 21 years. 2 Face famously broke up with Kennis Music, the record label that helped him alot in his career sometimes in 2008( I no sure o.. Google am), and confidently started his own label Hypertek Records. Well, we thought 2 Face is gone, but No!! He had other plans. He released his debut album under the record which he titled Grass to Grace, featuring hits like (google d songs and put d ones wey hit most). He even signed artists like Dammy Krane to his record.
Since then, 2 Baba has not looked back in his career. Seems age is really just a number after all.
2. KCee: The Limpopo master!!! That song made me fall in love. There was just something about the song that gives me goosebumps. A few remembered he is the KC to KCPresh’s Presh. We all forgot. The 5star music star has been dropping hits after hits. Early this year, KC was mixed up in controversy when his colleague Harry Song claimed he wrote most of KCee’s songs. Whatever what though, KCee grew stronger after going solo.
3. Wande Coal: ” Make you follow me bumper to bumper.. “. Baba, we still dey follow you o!
Admit it, we were all worried when Wande Coal left the Mavins. We all wondered why Coal and Don Baba Jay did not make any attempts to settle their little beef. For goodness sake, that song Baby Face would have been a hit if both sang it together. Yes, one was wrong but a simple convo would settle this. Well, bygones right? The Black Diamond had other plans. We thought he’s gone until he stroke. The vocalist has been featured many times by top artists ever since, and we gotta give him loads of credits for his part in the 2015/2016 hit “My woman” with Patoranking. Iskaba!!!!
4. WIZKID: “Daddy yo make me dance…”The Star boy may be many things but he’s never a flop or a disappointer. A true hardworker. He stole our hearts when he was with Banky W in EME Records and then one day, we woke up to the news of a break up. We prayed and when his album dropped, he featured Banky and the EME Logo was on the cover photo. One if not the most matured break up in Nigeria. No one in Nigeria has featured more foreign artist as Wizkid and none has been featured by foreign artist than him. He has won multiple awards since leaving EME also.
5. Jesse Jags- Honestly one of the most underated artist in Nigeria, and to be honest the second time no other rapper could speak to you, your heart and soul with music than Jargo. His lyrics are just heavenly. He has refused to follow the rest, so he can be the best. The Choc City rapper broke up with them for “some reasons”, and started his Jags Nation. His first single ” Murder dem” was pure fire then Redemption followed. Headies couldn’t resist crowning his efforts by naming him lyricist on the roll for his song God on the mic. Even though he’s now back with Choc City his initial departure was a blessing.
6 Brymo- ” Hunger dey..!!! Baba hunger the hammer boys o! God dey.
Brymo has never been in the spotlight almost through out his career so far and that is not a problem at least not to him. He sadly left Choc City after series of problems and since then he has been solo. To be honest, none of his songs has reached the level Ara reached but this is about being a better artist not an icon to reckon with. Brymo has upped his game really well. His songs preach and I hope he gets celebrated more.
7. Freezlinks- A strange name? This guy is the shit. The former 911 Army front man left them in 2015 and opted for MOPZ. We were surprised. The talented Jos based singer, rapper never looked back, infact his departure obviously affected 911 Army nevagtively. I’ve missed the trio of Freezlinks, Promphizy and INZ on one song.
Remember this name, keep the name, don’t forget the name Freezlinks!!!
This post is based on the opinions of the writer. Don’t agree with our list? Tell us yours and let’s discuss.
Written by Kamshinen Maxwell